Heighington CE Primary and Bishopton Redmarshall C of E School

Heighington CE Primary

Heighington CE Primary School and Bishopton Redmarshall CE Primary School
"Life in all its fullness" (John 10:10)

Bishopton Redmarshall C of E School
Moodle Login School Blog Digital Library

Local SEND offer

BrandH Academy SEND Local Offer



1. How does the school know if children/young people need extra help and what should I do if I think my child/young person may have special educational needs?

School staff make continuous observations of all children in our care, both academically and in their wider school lives.  These observations, along with assessment data, may highlight issues or concerns for particular children. 


Where this is the case, in the first instance, staff will have a conversation with parents and with the SENCo (Miss Spence).  If after that conversation and a sharing of concerns, we agree that further investigation or intervention is required, then and only then will we proceed –together.


If any parent has concerns about a child’s learning or development that have not been raised in previous conversation please arrange to meet with either the classteacher or the SENCo. 


2. How will school staff support my child/young person?

If, together, we agree that additional support is required, then a ‘One Plan’ will be drafted.  Staff, parents and children will work together to create the plan which will set out the particular needs of the child and what will be needed to support them.  This document belongs to the child and family and will be regularly reviewed. 


Additional support can take many forms.  It may be that particular aids are needed or access to relevant therapies (for example, Speech and Language Therapy or Occupational Therapy).  It could also be that other professionals become involved (e.g. Educational Psychology or CAMHS) or a member of staff with additional training in a particular area (e.g. Autistic Spectrum Disorders or Developmental Coordination Disorder).  In some cases, an additional adult may be required to support children directly in class. 

As stated earlier  NOTHING happens without your consent.


After reviewing the plan, it may be felt that a child’s needs are long term or will need additional funding to be met in school.  If this is the case, then the SENCo – in consultation with parents – will look to progress to an Education, Health and Care Plan which is a statutory document. 


Governors are responsible for everything that happens in the school and they receive anonomised reports every term. It is quite common for one governor to take a special interest in children with special needs and this governor may have greater access to information but the identity is not disclosed again without your consent.


3. How will the curriculum be matched to my child’s/young person’s needs?


In our schools, the majority of children’s needs are met through Quality First Teaching and differentiation.  This is where delivery or tasks set are adjusted to suit your child’s learning style or needs. For instance, a child with a visual impairment may require enlarged text, but not necessarily easier tasks. A child with developmental delay, may require tasks set that are at the child’s stage of learning rather than age-appropriate.  It may also be that a child struggles with auditory learning and requires visual prompts to support them. 

In addition to the whole school curriculum, individuals may require programmes of Speech and Language Therapy, Occupational Therapy or Physiotherapy to be delivered.  ‘Social Skills’ groups or behaviour support activities may also be planned and delivered. 


4. How will I know how my child/young person is doing and how will you help me to support my child’s learning?

There are three progress meetings half way through each term each year. If your child has an IEP or Support Plan / One Plan, this can be reviewed as frequently as every three weeks but more typically towards the end of every half-term. This means that your child’s progress is reviewed at least six times a year.  Our schools operate an ‘open door’ policy though, and parents are encouraged to speak to class teachers and/or the SENCo to discuss any issues or concerns as they arise.  Class teachers are the first point of contact and they will liaise with the SENCo where appropriate.  A ‘drop-in’ session with the SENCo is also held once a month for parents. 


We collect a wide range of progress data each year, to ensure that progress is being made. You can access this information online through our online reporting portal. One Plan needs to be adjusted and a review will be arranged with parents, staff and any outside agencies involved. 


For children who are on ‘School Action Plus, and several external agencies are involved it is not unusual to hold a review meeting once/twice a year to ensure the right people are supporting your child.


We have a superb track record for helping children to attain well. This is only made possible because of parental involvement. Many children with special needs have to work so much harder to make the progress they do and without your help at home there is not enough time in the school day to achieve the outcomes we all want.


Over the past year there have been four training events for parents.


5. What support will there be for my child’s overall well being?

Medical support is provided by the School Medical Service and is based on a needs analysis. Pastoral support is managed through the classteacher.

There is a detailed policy on the Administration of Medicines available on request. Personal care, would be described as part of the SEND package if required regularly. Occasional needs are met through well trained staff and a well-equipped school.


HCEP has not had an exclusion since 1999 and BRCEP has had only one child excluded for one day in the past seven years. Attendance is well above national norms.


Every child is asked for their views prior to formal reviews.  They may attend any meeting about themselves, though this is generally at the discretion of the parent.   For informal reviews, the child is often in attendance or the parents  provide this information.



6. What specialist services and expertise are available at or accessed by the school?

There are no specialist services available in the school. These have to contracted on a needs basis.   


7. What training are the staff supporting children and young people with SEND had or are having?

All staff are expected to continue their professional development. However, where there is an identified special need the staff working with this child may be asked to attend specific training sessions. For instance, for children with severe allergies, all support staff are trained to use epipens. This training is updated annually.


8. How will my child/young person be included in activities outside the classroom including school trips?

There are no barriers to inclusion. When planning trips for children, individual needs are fully and carefully considered.


9. How accessible is the school environment?

The school is fully accessible but it is not adapted for visual or auditory impaired children. There are disabled changing and toilet facilities.


10. How will the school prepare and support my child to join the school r to transfer to a new school or the next stage of education and life?

Any child identified at School Action Plus/with a One Plan should have a transition review at least one term before the transfer which will be attended by all agencies currently working with the child and representation from the receiving school. For transition to Key Stage 3, this will usually be in the Spring Term of Year 5. 

These reviews are important information sharing meetings. Where individual needs require amended transition arrangements, these are put in place.


11. How are the schools resources allocated and matched to children’s   special educational needs? How is the decision made about what type and how much support my child will receive?

Every child’s needs are different. The resources needed can be provided through statutory provision or from the academy’s own revenue. However, as far as possible, the needs and the resources are matched.



12 Who can I contact for further information?

Your child’s classteacher will usually be your first point of contact.

Additional advice can be obtained from the SENCo, Miss Spence (01325 300326) however this may require an appointment. 


Outside of school there are many charities supporting children.  There is also the ‘Parent Partnership’ based at Darlington Town Hall (01325 380651) or www.darlington.gov.uk who can provide support and guidance for parents on all matters regarding SEN.   


 Heighington and Bishopton Redmarshall

 George Dent Nursery School